TO GO WITH FEATURE BC-ROMANIA-BRANCUSI.
View of disassembled stone sculpture called "The table of silence" by
modern master Constantin Brancusi in the river-front park of the
southwestern Romanian industrial town of Targu Jiu (300km west of
Bucharest). The Romanian government began to renovate the works, which
the Balkan county's most famous artist donated to his home town in
1937, but a wrangle with the local company conducting the restoration
has left the sculptures broken or covered up for over a year. Picture
taken June 29, 2003. TO GO WITH FEATURE BC-ROMANIA-BRANCUSI.