Ajax loader

Can't find what you're looking for?

 

Be sure to Sign in to see all available content.

 

If you don't have an account, Register here.

Search results for:

YEMEN-SECURITY/HEALTH
RTS1YGFW 
August 23, 2018 
Millions of Yemenis are at risk from hunger and cholera brought on by three years of war, an emergency... 
Sanaa, Yemen 
The Wider Image: Cancer patients - the other victims of Yemen's war 
Millions of Yemenis are at risk from hunger and cholera brought on by three years of war, an emergency that has also hit cancer patients, struggling to get treatment in a country where the economy and infrastructure have collapsed. The World Health Organization (WHO) said around 35,000 people have cancer in Yemen, with about 11,000 cases diagnosed each year. The National Oncology Centre in Sanaa admits around 600 new cancer patients each month. But it received only $1 million in funding last year from state entities and international aid groups, the head of the centre, Ahmed al-Ashwal, told Reuters. The few beds available at the centre are reserved for children. Other patients receive treatment intravenously, while sitting on dilapidated recliner chairs or in the waiting area. The WHO said that prior to the conflict, the centre used to receive $15 million a year from the state and that the budget was used to purchase chemotherapy medications and anti-cancer drugs for oncology centres across the country. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah SEARCH "YEMEN CANCER" FOR THIS STORY. SEARCH "WIDER IMAGE" FOR ALL STORIES. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY. Matching text: YEMEN-SECURITY/HEALTH 
Sort by 
Display 
Items per page 
Page 
of 1